Brave Girl Wellness & Retreats focuses on “real” food education for “real” women .Our goal is to take your bariatric journey to the next level by introducing a healthy approach to food, allowing you to Release All Worry (R.A.W.) including the fear of weight loss stalls, not knowing what to eat, and, most importantly, preventing you from regaining the weight you worked so hard to lose. Our unique and holistic approach to health and wellness, combining mindful eating and the whole food cleansing regimen, is the solution you have been looking for. You have worked so hard and come so far. It’s time to reap the long term rewards of all you have accomplished!
- Why did you start Brave Girl Wellness & Retreats? Since having weight loss surgery in 2008, I had always been in search of the “real” Sherrine. Of course, I looked better because I had lost weight, but what people didn’t realize was that I was struggling with what I call “internal food craziness”. It was like I was the “Skinny Sherrine” on the outside, but the still insecure, still somewhat out of control “Fat Sherrine” on the inside! I lived in constant fear, wondering if I had done the right thing. Wherever you are at this moment — whether you’re struggling, feeling disappointment, anger, confusion, or downright frustration — I invite you to let me help you to see food as a solution in your life. I finally live my life without fear. Isn’t it time for you to do the same?
- What is the Standard American Diet, and why is everyone is talking about it? The Standard American Diet (aka the aptly coined acronym S.A.D.), has been around for 60 years. It was created by industrialized and mechanized American agriculture, not with our health in mind, but rather, to make mega amounts of money. This diet has created a chronically unhealthy population. (You will learn more about this at the R.A.W.cation.)
- What are raw foods? Raw foods, also known as plant based or alive are foods custom made by Mother Nature with all the vitamins and nutrients intact. Raw foods include fresh fruits, vegetables, baby greens, sprouts, nuts, seeds, and sea vegetables that are unprocessed and unchanged.
- Why do I need raw foods? Raw foods are easily recognized by the body and broken down into usable nutrients. Raw foods are never heated above 118 degrees, thus not compromising the vitamins, minerals, enzymes, protein, and antioxidants your body craves for existence! Raw foods and pressed juices supply oxygen to the cells, allow cells to absorb nutrients and excrete toxins, and allow the body to work at a proper level of repairing, rebuilding, and cleansing.
- What exactly is mindful eating? Mindful eating is being aware of the present moment. Mindfulness teaches us to focus our attention on what is happening now, which in turn helps us to disengage from old habits and behaviors. We will teach you to be aware of mindless eating that takes place when you are distracted, not savoring your food, grazing throughout the day, or eating “slider foods” with little nutritional value, and help you adjust to your “new normal.” The key is to be in charge of your eating instead of feeling out of control.
- 100 years ago we ate 4 pounds of sugar per year. On average, Americans are consuming 146 pounds of flour and 152 pounds of sugar each year!! That is scary!
- It is believed that the average American consumes roughly 14 pounds of chemicals through food in one year. Our food is contaminated by chemical fertilizers, pesticides, preservatives, stabilizers, and plastic packaging! These chemicals include heavy metals.
- Nearly 70% of Americans and 1.5 billion people worldwide are overweight
- More than 29.1 million Americans have diabetes and approximately 79 million Americans are pre-diabetic. As many as 1 in 3 Americans will die from cancer, and heart disease is the major killer. Medical costs are predicted in the trillions of dollars, all because of the Standard American Diet (SAD)
- Our diet should consist of 80% alkaline foods and 20% acidic foods. Viruses, cancer, and most diseases thrive in an acidic environment
- Some animal studies show that sugar is eight times more addictive than cocaine
- Hidden sugar and flour hidden in the processed foods we eat on a daily basis keep us hooked and hungrier for more junk food
- Studies show that Americans eat half of their meals outside the home. According to Dr. Mark Hyman, Medical Director of the Ultra Wellness Center, if one of those is a supersized fast-food meal, they’d have to run 4 miles a day for a week just to burn off that burger, fries and Coke!
- “Not only do people lose an average of 8 pounds and 2 inches off their waist, but their blood sugar drops, their blood pressure drops, their overall toxicity drops — it’s that dramatic,” ~ Dr. Mark Hyman (speaking of eating unprocessed foods, along with exercise and vitamins.)